Author Interview: Janette Rallison

Monday, October 26, 2009 |

Today, my next author interview is with Janette Rallison. She is the author of Just One Wish, and How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend and many more. Did you know she that has 5 kids?

What made you write Young Adult Fiction?
My favorite books have always been young adult books. I've loved The Phantom Tollbooth, The Princess Bride, A Wrinkle in Time, and well, really too many to mention. I guess it was natural that I'd want to write in the same genre. Also, I have daughters who are voracious readers and I want them, and all the kids out there like them, to have good books to read.

How are you and Annika alike? How are you different?
I'm more cautious than Annika. I've done many crazy things, but I would never drive to California and try to sneak onto a Movie set. (Although according to my Hollywood source, there are plenty of girls who do try to do this.) I also wouldn't have ever faked a book report--I enjoyed reading too much. I do drive like Annika does though, I love chocolate, and I'm much more likely to get mad during a situation than to cry--an attribution I gave to her.

My mother died of cancer when I was young, so I also relate to her in that regard.

If you were granted 3 wishes, what would they be?
If you had asked me this when I was a teenager, I would have wished to be rich, eternally young and beautiful, and to marry my teen crush: Battlestar Galactica actor, Richard Hatch.

Now that I'm a mom, I'd wish for world peace, for my children to live happy lives, and for a self-cleaning house. This is how your perspective changes as you grow older. (Although I still have a thing for Richard.)

Do you have any must-have's while writing?
Quiet. That's pretty much what I need to write, and it can be harder than you'd think to get it since I'm the mother of five kids.

If you were brought to a deserted island, which 3 books would you bring with you?
I'd bring three empty notebooks and write my own.

What is the best piece of advice for those young aspiring writers out there?
Go to college and get a degree in something else, because it often takes a long time before you can support yourself as an author. And luckily, writing is the type of job that can be done a little at a time while you do other things with your life.

If you weren't an author, what would your dream job be?
You mean besides a mom?
I don't mean to be hokey, but really, being a mom is the best job in the world. But if I wasn't an author, I'd love being an editor.

Lastly, is there anything else you'd like to add?
A big thank you to all my readers. You make writing worthwhile!


Thanks Janette for the wonderful interview! Be sure to check out her website!

1 comment:

Ellz said...

Great interview. It is so true that your priorities change so drastically as you get older.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home