Defenders of The Scroll by Shiraz

Thursday, October 15, 2009 |

Title: Defenders Of The Scroll
Author: Shiraz
Publisher: iUniverse (June 29, 2009)
Pages: 264 pages

A teenage boy. A dark wizard. A mystic scroll. And the fate of a world hangs in the balance...

When Alex "the Axeman" Logan is pulled from his world to help a young princess, named Dara, save her kingdom from the Shadow Lord, he thinks there has been a mistake. He's a teen guitar player close to failing 11th grade, not some defender of the realm. All he has are some school books, his wits, and his love of fantasy movies.

Overnight his life is history. Alex must confront the Shadow Lord and his minions when he is thrust into a land that has changed from a magical paradise to a barren, hopeless, helpless realm invaded by a dark army. But Alex is not alone. He has the help of Dara, a magic scroll, and a band of unlikely companions drawn from his own history books: a hardened Roman Legionnaire, a swift Japanese Samurai, a fearless African Warrior, a fiery Amazon Archer, and a spirited Shaolin Monk.

Can Alex become more than he believes and lead his small band of Defenders to the Hall of Shadows, the birthplace of the Shadow Lord? The fate of the realm and everyone in it rests on him.

At first, I was a little unsure about the cover, it's kind of corny. I don't really like the cover because it seems a bit like those cheesy movies. I didn't like it that much and I felt it was too strong. But boy was I ever wrong! DOTS provided me with a roller-coaster ride full of twists and turns and adventure!

My favorite character was Alex. Alex made the book better, I think Alex was the best developed character in the story. I guess I just liked his personality.

DoTs is a unique and different from other books I've read. I'm not really into the whole fantasy genre, but this is an exception. I loved it from start to finish and devoured it in less than 2 hours! Shiraz's flowing and effortless writing pulled me into a world of magic and fantasy. In other words, it's amazing. I didn't expect to like it, but I did. I'm glad I chose this book for it's content, not for it's cover =)

Overall, I recommend you guys go get this book, I know, the cover looks super cheesy but from the content, it's great. Especially fantasy fans, I think you guys might like this one!

Cover: Photobucket

Ending: Photobucket

Writing: Photobucket

Overall: Photobucket

3 comments:

Kate said...

Superb review and interview. I'm gald you enjoyed it =D

Charlotte said...

I agree with you about the cover : that would definitely not get my attention in a bookstore (well, if it did, it would be for its cheesyness !). I'm always a bit angry when a good book has a cover that doesn't match the quality of what's inside. Great review and interview. :)

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

This one is on my review pile, and I think I may be passing it up each time because of that cover, lol. I'll have to give it a shot though, because I've been hearing such good things about it.

Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home