Author Interview & Contest: Lauren Mechling

Monday, January 4, 2010 |

Today, I have an interview with Lauren Mechling! She is author of Dream Girl, and to be released, Dream Life, on January 12, 2010. You can also win a shiny, new hardcover copy of Dream Life at the bottom of this post!


Describe yourself in one word.
Up-for-it.

What made you write Young Adult?

My happiest and most intense times as a reader were when I was a teenager. I used to get this swept-away feeling pretty much whenever I read. My hope is to write books that readers are going to relate to in the same over-the-top way.

What are some of your strengths and weaknesses in writing?

Yikes! I guess I'd say they're the same thing: that my writing is funny. The good side: my books are not preachy or pretentious but I have yet to write that emotionally intense masterpiece that has you weeping into your sleeve.

How are you and Claire alike? How are you different?
Like me, Claire is nosy and cynical and drawn to people with big personalities, even if they're a little bossy. We're different in that she hates school and she doesn't really like to read.

If you could pick a theme song for Dream Life, what would it be? Why?
It would be Bubble Gum by Brigitte Bardot and Serge Gainsbourg because it's goofy and upbeat and odd. Plus I like hearing Brigitte Bardot try to pronounce "Bubble Gum" -- it sounds like her mouth is full of the stuff (as was mine while writing the book).

What was the most difficult aspect of writing Dream Life and/or Dream Girl?
Id never written a mystery before I started the series, and I wasn't even a hardcore mystery reader. I definitely worked at learning how to put together the puzzle pieces. Once I had the skeleton in place, it was fun hanging the kinds of comedy that comes naturally to me (quirky characters, entertaining dialogue, descriptions of bizarre (and awkward) social situations) on it.

Do you have any must-have's while writing?
See above-at least one Trident 18 pack.

Lastly, is there anything else you'd like to add?
Just thanks for featuring the book on your site!

Thanks Lauren!
________________________________________________________________
Win Dream Life by Lauren Mechling!

Claire Voyante's first semester at Henry Hudson High School was eventful, to say the least. As she heads into her second semester, things are calming down a bit. But Claire has a few secrets that are getting harder to keep. Her biggest secret of all? The onyx and ivory cameo necklace her grandmother gave her for her 15th birthday. Ever since she started wearing it, her dreams have been coming to her in black and white and turning out to be oddly prophetic.

Becca's been hanging out with her old prep school friends and never seems to have time for Claire anymore. And soon, Claire discovers why - there's a secret group of society girls with a mysterious identity. And, turns out, a mysterious
enemy who's out to get them. The second she sniffs out trouble, Claire jumps on the case. But is it someone close to Claire who's in danger again - or could it be Claire herself whose life is at stake?


To Enter:
Fill out this form.
Contest Info:
  • Open to U.S. residents only.
  • January 17, 2010 is the deadline.
  • Good luck!
~CONTEST CLOSED~

7 comments:

Monster of Books said...

Great interview!!! I'll certainly be checking out this book :)

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the excellent interview. I enjoyed learning about Lauren & thank you to Lauren for sharing.
Here's to a great 2010!
RKCharron

Kris said...

Great interview~

Donna Gambale said...

Thanks for the interview. Really quirky song choice -- I like it! I'm more of a Five gum gal. And those new Trident Layers - delish!

pepsivanilla said...

Thanks for the interview :) Loved Dream Girl!

Chelsea said...

Great interview! I loved the strengths/weaknesses question!

Emma (the Expat) said...

http://vimeo.com/7993012

Hey, this is a neato trailer for Dream Life.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home