The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Monday, April 26, 2010 |

Title: The Unwritten Rule
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Pages: 224
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: March 16, 2010
Source: Publicist
Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, super smart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...
The Unwritten Rule is a realistic portrayal of teenage life. While most books are exaggerated and sometimes unconvincing, The Unwritten Rule, instead, deals with normal happenings in life and explores the different ways of dealing with that particular situation. Although some readers may not understand Sarah and Brianna's friendship, it's a relationship that is still quite common in real life.

At first, I thought that Sarah was a weak and unrealistic main character, but the more her personality seeped into me, the more I realized that there really ARE people like Sarah. Sarah doesn't stand up for herself, and neither do a lot of people. I found Brianna's 'stupidity' a little cliche but I was able to easily overlook that aspect.

The relationship harvested between Sarah and Ryan was actually and surprisingly quite simple and true, but it may not seem that way at first. Their feelings are relayed from one another and they find common ground through the fact that they understand and accept each other. It's quite amazing.

The Unwritten Rule is one of the most realistically emotional books that will resonate with many readers. The situation is not as over-the-top as other YA books, and that is what makes it special. This is one of the most simple, and yet thought-provoking books that I've read.

Cover: Photobucket

Ending::Photobucket

Characters: Photobucket

Writing: Photobucket

Overall: Photobucket.5

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this one. Nice review! :)

Nina said...

Great review. I don't know if I want to try this one, but it does sounds nice. Allot more people should stand up for themselves, but it's very difficult to do so..maybe this book has a great message.. :)

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to read this! Thanks for the awesome review :)

Unknown said...

I love Elizabeth and I can't wait to read this one! Great review!

Hannah S. said...

You summed it up so perfectly!
Love, Hannah

Sara said...

I love this review! I've been wanting to read this. Elizabeth Scott really is amazing :D

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I've been wanting to read this one because I adore Elizabeth Scott's writing. She captures teenage thoughts, emotions, speech, etc. so perfectly that I can't dislike any of her books. I'll be picking this one up soon.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home