My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day

Monday, November 29, 2010 |

Title: My Invisible Boyfriend
Author: Susie Day
Pages: 288
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: April 1, 2010
Source: Publicist
Overall:Photobucket

Heidi has the perfect solution to her popularity problems - a fake boyfriend. She's even made him an Internet profile that makes him look like a motorcycle-riding, poetry reading bad boy. *swoon* Heidi's friends are so impressed they start emailing Heidi's fake boyfriend with their problems . . . including their problems with Heidi.

As if that weren't bad enough, a delicious and possibly single person called "A Real Boy" emails Heidi to say he knows the truth. Can Heidi escape from her world wide web of lies? Or will her chance at romance disappear faster than you can type gtg?
A story driven with fun, wit, and humor, My Invisble Boyfriend will charm readers with its original teen euphemisms. Day creates a lot new words, which definitely captivates readers into the book. The premise of the novel was another concept to the story that had kept me reading more.

The beginning of the story was pretty slow and draggy… I felt a bit lost at times and it felt as this book was a bit rushed and predictable. Also, the euphemisms were a bit overdone in this novel and I had quite a hard time understanding some of the re-worded phrases.

Nevertheless, the plot and premise of this novel was original and creative… A breathe of fresh air… The concept of having a ‘fake’ boyfriend was the one that definitely drawn me into the novel. I found it very witty…. A girl having an online ‘fake’ boyfriend…

There weren’t any characters that had sparked my interest. I think Day could have developed each of them more. There was not much connection with each of them. Though, Heidi was constructed to be a hilarious and amusing character… and fortunately, she was. She’s also relatable which made her come to life throughout the story. She has a low self-esteem and she’s just trying to find her place.

Fake names were very entertaining, and there were many laugh out loud moments, and as well as many twists and turns in the story.

My Invisible Boyfriend is a delightful and light-hearted tale that rummages into the perplexity and insecurities that come with teenagers. Day also portrays several messages; honesty is the best policy, gaining confidence, and having more faith in friends. Even though this novel wasn’t amazing, it’s a charming read that will keep you laughing out loud all throughout!

Cover::Photobucket
Ending:Photobucket
Characters:Photobucket
Plot:Photobucket
Writing:Photobucket

3 comments:

~The Book Pixie said...

I have this one on my wishlist but it is definitely more of a low priority one. It sounds enjoyable enough, though flawed. I appreciate the honest review! :D

~Briana

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Eh it does sound entertaining but perhaps not my kind of read, thanks for being honest love me a honest review :P

Rebecca (RivkaBelle) said...

Sounds like a 'fun read' for when I want to just relax and laugh :)

awordsworth.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home