Need by Carrie Jones

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 |

Title: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Pages: 320 (Paperback)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: April 1, 2009
Source: Publisher
Series: Captivate & Entice

Overall:Photobucket

Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since she-s had a pretty rough life. Her father left when she was a baby, and her stepfather just died. Her mother-s pretty much checked out - in fact, Mom-s sent her to live with her grandmother in cold and sleepy Maine to -keep Zara safe.- Whatever that means. Zara doesn-t think she-s in danger; she thinks her mother just can-t deal. Zara-s wrong. The man she sees everywhere - the tall creepy guy who points at her from the side of the road - yeh, he-s not a figment of her imagination. He-s a pixie. And not the cute, sweet kind with little wings. Maine-s got a whole assortment of unbelievable creatures, like pixies and were-people. And they seem to need something - something from Zara.
Engaging and powerful, Need will absorb readers with it's creativity and descriptive writing. Phobia-loaded, readers will find themselves sucked into Jones world of pixies.

The premise is what really pulls readers into the novel. Young adult paranormal today is all about vampires and werewolves, but instead, this one is about pixies and more of phobias. Jones explores many phobias and it was really interesting to see what phobias there are out there!

Many twists and turns occurred often in this novel and many parts were not expected at all, instead, surprising. The plot is fast paced and moves pretty quickly. Jones balanced both paranormal and action to create an engaging read and also has well planned the suspense and conflict.

Aberrant and eccentric, Zara will capture your attention with her wacky and crazy obsession with phobias. She always was there to save herself and was always independent. Throughout, after her loss in the beginning of the story, Zara started gaining her strength and it really portrayed through her actions. I ended up loving her because she's very likable and relatable. The fact that she was able to name phobias was interesting and a bit crazy… never did I know there was so much phobias.

Nick and Zara's relationship was a little forced, but at the same time realistic. I just couldn't feel the chemistry at times. Even though Nick was handsome and protective, the dark lead male in this novel (with his relationship with Zara) never shined to me.

Pixies and phobias… I Need more of you.

Cover::Photobucket
Ending:Photobucket
Characters:Photobucket
Plot:Photobucket
Writing:Photobucket


7 comments:

Unknown said...

This one is on my to read list and sitting on my book shelf! I need to read it soon!

DJ D. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Need! It's one of my favorite books and series. I just got Entice today, but have to wait until after Christmas to read it because it's supposed to be a gift, haha. I hope you enjoy Captivate!

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I so need to read this series!

Natalie said...

I just reviewed this one today as well! I agree with you on Zara's character. I found her to be unique and endearing as well. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Unknown said...

Great review!

I'm seeing reviews of this all over the place lol. I love the idea of focusing on phobia's. I have a slight obsession with my own phobia's lol.

~The Book Pixie said...

I really NEED to read this! :P I have both it and Captivate but haven't had the chance to read them and since I am The Book PIXIE I feel kinda stupid having not read them yet. lol. Thanks for the great review!

~Briana

latishajean said...

I enjoyed this book I picked it up to look at the cover and had to read it! when the book ended I wanted more :)Great review

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home